Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Recent museums' visits

1- Cindy Sherman; 2- Print/Out; 3- Diego Rivera; 4 The Steins Collect; 5- The Ungovernables
I haven't had much time to write here lately and to share my cultural outings. So I've decided to dedicate this post to all the exhibits I have been in the past month, and, if you care, of course, my take outs.
  • Cindy Sherman - I love artists retrospectives, because you can see the evolution of the artist throughout the years and understand him/her a little bit better. The first time I saw Cindy Sherman's work, it was many years ago, when I first visited the permanent collection of the MoMA. I was a teenager, so still trying to redo the whole World, contesting everything and thinking that nothing could shock me. The good thing about getting older is that you realize that some things will never change (and you actually don't want them to change) and that some other things have changed and are the way they are because they were part of an evolution. I still don't really like Cindy Sherman's clowns series (this is maybe more personal, because, since I was a child I just hate clowns), but I've became pretty fond of her work. As soon as you realize that for each and every photograph she's been the photographer, the actress, the hairstylist, the make-up artist, the stylist and what not, you just can't ignore her talent. Cindy Sherman's retrospective is being presented at the MoMA and it goes until June 11th. 
  • Print/Out - Very interesting exhibit about prints. However, I felt a little bit lost and overwhelmed with the amount of information. There were prints literarily everywhere. It's one of those exhibits that need to be revisited many times and preferably with someone who knows well on the subject. I went with a group of friends and a guide. It was really helpful and I would love to go back with more time. Also showing at the MoMA and it runs until May 14th.
  • The Steins collect: Matisse, Picasso and the Parisian Avant-Garde - wonderful exhibition at the MET, about the art collection of Gertrude Stein, her brother Leo and Michael and Michael's wife Sarah. The exhibit is rich on details about their story and their relationships with artists like Picasso and Matisse and how they discovered new talents. It's incredible how they knew all the best artists of the 20th century. The exhibit that shows works from Picasso, Matisse, Cézanne, Toulouse-Lautrec, Picabia, Bonnard among others, is on display until June 3rd. 
  • The Ungovernables: 2012 New Museum Triennal - not really my thing. The kind of contemporary art that I have a hard time understanding and that I can't usually link to the "message" of the artist. The exhibit reunites about 34 young artists from countries that used to be colonies and it goes until April 22nd.
I still have a lot of exhibition to catch up. But I'm glad I had time to see all the ones above, because they were all really worth the visit (apart from the "The Ungovernables").

If you have the opportunity to see one of the, I really hope you'll enjoy them as much as I did!

2 comments:

  1. Dear ,

    It is a wonderfull exhibition .

    And what a pleasure to see the portrait of Gertrude Stein by Riba-Rovira .Beside Tchelitchew and Balthus .

    And also the Preface Gertrude Stein wrote for his first exhibition in the Galerie Roquepine in Paris on 1945 .
    Where we can read Gertrude Stein writing Riba-Rovira "will go farther than Cezanne...will succeed in where Picasso failed...I am fascinated " by Riba-Rovira Gertrude Stein tells us .

    And you are you also fascinated indeed as Gertrude Stein ?

    But Gertrude Stein spoke also in this same document about Matisse and Juan Gris .And we learn Riba-Rovira went each week in Gertrude Stein's saloon rue Christine .
    With Edward Burns and Carl Van Vechten we can know Riba-Rovira did others portraits of Gertrude Stein .

    But we do not know where they are ;and you do you know perhaps ?

    With this wonderful portrait we do not forget it is the last time Gertrude Stein sat for an artist who is Riba-Rovira .

    This exhibition presents us a world success with this last painting portrait before she died .

    Both ,it is one of the last text where she gives her last art vision .As a light over that exhibition now at the Metropolitan Museum of Art of New York .

    Coming from San Francisco "Seeing five stories" to Washington and now in the Metropolitan Museum of Art of New York for our pleasure .

    And the must is to see for the first time in the same place portraits by Picasso, Picabia, Riba-Rovira, Tall-Coat, Valloton .

    You have the translate of Gertrude Stein's Riba-Rovira Preface on english Gertrude Stein's page on Wikipedia and in the catalog of this exhibition you can see in first place the mention of this portrait .And also other pictures Gertrude Stein bought him .

    And you have another place where you can see now Riba-Rovira's works it is an exhibition in Valencia in Spain "Homenage a Gertrude Stein" by Riba-Rovira in Galleria Muro ,if you like art ...

    Cesera

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment. I loved the portrait of Gertrude Stein by Riba-Rovira as well. Very nice exhibit indeed, with so many talented artists all in one place.

      Delete