I would find it hard to believe that this question hasn't crossed the mind of every mother in our modern society.
Some women need to work for a living, others because they praise their careers and are afraid of being left out of the market for too long, others because they may just not be satisfied by being only mothers and like the challenge of their jobs and others for all the reasons above. On the other hand, other women stay at home with the kids because they chose to or maybe because the household income simply wouldn't cover for the expenses related to childcare (being it a full-time nanny or a daycare). In any case, I believe that all reasons are valid and I'm in no position to judge any mother or her life-style here.
I worked until F was 1 year and a half. I liked it but there wasn't a single day that I wouldn't think about leaving my job to stay with him. In the descriptions I established above, I fitted in the "mother who praised her career and was afraid of being left out of the market". I thought I was too young to stop working (just turned 27 when F was born) and I had studied too hard just to hang all my diplomas and spend every afternoon in the park. But I suffered too much. When F turned one it hit me very hard, I felt I had missed everything that was important to me - spending time with him and watching him growing. Nonetheless, I still felt divided, because I wanted to build a career for myself...
Then came the decision to move back to Brazil and I got pregnant of my second child. I decided to take some time off. But I always had in mind, that after P would be 6 months old, I would go back to work. P turned one and I was still at home. In part because I couldn't find a job, but also because I wasn't really trying hard to find one. When we moved back to New York, I was lucky to be hired by the same bank I used to work for, with the same group, to do exactly the same thing. Unfortunately it didn't last.
The first weeks were hard because I had to be reacquainted with everything, especially the working space and rhythm. Imagine how hard it can be to stay in front of a Bloomberg screen for 10 hours, analyzing balance sheets and income statements after having spent two years changing diapers, singing children songs, playing with cubes, going to the park! That part was actually easy to overcome. But, the daily life away from the kids was just too hard for me. Not to mention that my husband works long hours, so I couldn't really rely on him. So, I decided to go back home.
I don't regret it. I enjoy and feel lucky of being able to spend this time with my kids. They actually do grow extremely fast and I would hate to miss their early childhood. I have a great admiration for the working mothers because I tried to be one and I just couldn't handle the challenge. However, there is this constant little voice telling me your kids will grow up and what will happen to you?
In addition to all my worries about working or not - and, I'm sorry, but I don't consider staying-at-home a work, especially when I see my sister who works full-time and takes care of her children with no help at home -, this morning F made a comment that left me so so sad. He told me that I should go back to work, so his nanny could give him breakfast like she used to do a few months ago while I was in the office. so, there is now this whole new question, banging in my head, that I had never asked myself before: will my grown up kids reprove my decision of having stayed with them?
Big, huge, enormous *SIGH*.


Dani,
ReplyDeleteQdo meu filho mais velho nasceu, eu so voltei a trabalhar qdo ele tinha um ano e meio. Mesmo assim, era ao lado de casa, e eu podia busca-lo na escolinha, almocar com ele e ate tirar uma soneca depois do almoco. Aproveitei muito da infancia dele.
Depois, qdo o segundo nasceu, eu voltri a trabalhar qdo ele tinha somente 5 meses. Era ainda ao lado de casa, mas o trabalho exigia mais de mim. Cheguei a viajar algumas vezes inclusive.
Parei de trabalhar nao por opcao, mas pq a empresa que eu trabalhava quebrou, e pelo meu cargo, salario e idade, foi dificil conseguir uma nova colocacao.
A partir deste momento passei a trabalhar em casa, pq nao consigo fcar parada sem produzir. E so ai senti o quanto eu perdi de estar com meus filhos, mesmo que eles estivessem bem e ficassem com os avos na minha ausencia (e super paparicados)
Hoje os dois estao com 17 e 13, quase 14 anos. Ha dois anos peguei um trabalho free lance de producao de um enorme evento, o que me obrigou a ficar quase duas semanas fora de casa. Um dia meu cacula me perguntou quando o meu trabalho acabaria, pq ele queria me ver em casa de novo.
Nao me anulei por eles, na verdade acabei fazendo aquilo que eu realmente gosto. Acho que os filhos so podem "reclamar"da mae ter se anulado quando ela, em funcao da escolha que fizer, ficar infeliz.
Se vc eh feliz estando com os seus filhos, isso reflete na forma como vc lida com lees no dia a dia... pode ser que ele prefira o cafe da manha da baba e ate lembre disso daqui a alguns anos, mas o que eles mais vao sentir eh se vc estava triste ou feliz por estar com eles, se eles foram um empecilho na sua felicidade ou nao. E isso acontece independente da mulher trabalhar fora. faca o que seu coracao mandar! Beijo grande <3
Adorei seu comentario Carla. Acho que eu vou ficar sempre meio dividida. Mas, ainda prefiro ficar com eles. Tenho muito mais medo de me arrepender de nao ter estado presente enquanto cresciam do que nao ter trabalho. Mas, de vez em quando, da um friozinho na barriga de pensar que daqui ha pouco o P tambem vai comecar a ir pra escola todos os dias. E ai?
ReplyDeleteF ja acha que o meu escritorio eh a academia (JURO! um dia a gente passou na frente e ele apontou dizendo que era meu escritorio). Imagina que depressao se virar mesmo o meu local diario de "trabalho" hahahaha!! O pior eh que nem vou tanto assim (2, 3 vezes por semana no maximo)... Enfim, como diz a minha mae, deveria aproveitar mais do presente e parar em me preocupar tanto com o futuro.
Bjs!!
http://site.booksite.com/6665/showdetail/?isbn=9780814743133
ReplyDeletejust saw this right before reading your post.
por que não aparece como link, ou linkavel? enfim, é um livro que está no site da bookculture e se chama
ReplyDeleteWomen Who Opt Out: The Debate Over Working Mothers and Work-Family Balance
By Sweezy, Paul
Editor Jones, Bernie
D. sua mãe está certa, até porque conhecendo um pouquinho vc, tenho certeza que na hora que vc decidir, vai seguir seus (outros) desejos, seja daqui a 5 ou 15 anos....
e o F faz isso pra testar, c-l-a-r-o, mas mãe é bicho bobo e ciumento.
Bisoux!
Oi Marilia! O link apareceu no meu e-mail. Vou dar uma olhada no livro. Vc leu?
ReplyDeleteBjs!