Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Weekend update - Puppetworks, a must!

Now that the week has started and Halloween is over, I finally have some minutes to write about our weekend.

Puppetworks in Park Slope, Brooklyn
Given that it snowed on Saturday and it got really cold during the weekend, we decided not to visit the Bronx zoo on Sunday. Instead, we went to Park Slope in Brooklyn to see a puppet show. I really really recommend Puppetworks.

The suggested ages for the audience are 3 to 8. However, both my sons (who are two and four), my mother and I loved the show. I think there is no age restriction for puppet or marionette shows (marionette is the correct way of calling the kind of puppets used at puppetworks, which are the ones controlled by strings). Before the session started, F and especially P (the youngest) were running all around the room, with no perspective of calming down whatsoever. But, as soon as the lights went down and the puppets appeared on stage they sat quietly and stayed like that during the whole play. As for me, I felt like a child again. In fact, since I was a little girl, I've always been mesmerized by the puppeteer's ability on making wood dolls become so expressive just by pulling some strings. It's still magic for me.


All the puppets hanging on the wall of the theatre
The Reluctant Dragon
 The puppets are all handmade and some of them have been in use for more than 38 years. They are currently playing The Reluctant Dragon, but their program changes regularly (all the information is on their website). You can bet we'll be in the front row of each new show coming up. I'm their newest fan!

Have a great week!
Snow in October
Happy Halloween!





No comments:

Post a Comment